Monday, September 25, 2006

Marathon Week

"Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when the awareness comes, it is excruciating."
- John Farrington, Australian marathoner

Welcome to another edition of marathon week. Unlike shark week on the discovery channel this is this years 3rd marathon week and have a couple more coming up.

Well last night I had a little freak out. I was watching my old videos from past marathons. I used to watch my first marathon video on days I did not want to train and it would get me to go out. Now I see teh video and I get so worried about the pain. Interesting not since the first marathon I do not think I have not had some pain going into the week before the marathon. Like last weekend I am going to take this week easy and ice alot. good news is my knee is not hurting to the touch but I can feel tightness in the muscle itself. Its getting better as well as my sickness. I just hope I am better by saturday. I need to be able to breathe otherwise sunday will be a long day.

For sunday my goals are simple. Finish at 6:28:00 and get 20 mile in hopely if I do have to drop. if I hurt too much I may drop out but I will try not too. I have never dropped out of a marathon and never dropped in a non loop course. only DNF 1 race and switch to the half mnidway through another. switching is not a DNF :). I knew I went out too fast and a 6 hour cut off time is hard for me. I like to go over. I will not even try to pr anymore this year. Now its just about finishing unless my knee is just feeling that good even then I do not think I will push it because well I do not want to injury myself last time I pred and did not train enough. Atleast my heart is string enough and I am lighter so that helps alot.

This week I am going to walk and take it easy once I feel up to it. Icing alot and streching is key.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

Sounds like a real good plan. Good Luck with it!!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Reen said...

Now - which marathon is this?

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home